Questions to Ask an Auto Accident Injury Lawyer
Auto Accident Injury Lawyer
Questions to Ask:
Following any type of motor vehicle collision, it can be difficult to figure out where to turn for assistance if you were the victim of a negligent driver. You see and hear the ads on the television and radio all of the time about attorneys who handle personal injury cases stemming from car accidents. But how will you know how to find the right auto accident injury lawyer to represent your case? Only you can answer that question, because everyone communicates differently and has different expectations of the legal professionals that they hire to work with them. However, getting the answers to the following questions may help guide you in finding the right auto accident injury lawyer to work for you.
Questions to Ask Your Potential Auto Accident Injury Lawyer
- How soon must I file a claim for personal injury compensation following my accident? In North Carolina, a personal injury lawsuit must be filed within three years of the date of injury or loss. A wrongful death case must be filed within two years of the death.
- If your firm agrees to take on my case, will you be the attorney that represents me before the courts? This question is relevant because many firms will have your case intake performed by one attorney, then the discovery phase of your case handled by another attorney, and finally have your case represented before the courts by yet another attorney. This can often be confusing, and you deserve to know who will be with you in the courtroom.
- Do you have extensive experience with personal injury claims? The answer to this important question will give you a glimpse into the auto accident injury lawyer’s level of experience dealing with insurance companies and the courts. At The Olive Law Firm, since 1957, we have over 50 years of representing clients with their personal injury claims.
- What will my case be worth? This question can only be answered by taking all of the elements of your case into consideration, including the amount of medical bills that you have and will continue to incur, the amount of work that you will miss, the pain and suffering that you have endured, and the property damages that you have suffered.
- Will I be entitled to seek additional damages? Additional damages – or punitive damages – can sometimes be sought in auto accident cases when it can be proven that a negligent driver was deliberately or grossly negligent in their actions, such as drivers under the influence or drivers who were texting while driving.
- How long will it take for my lawsuit to be filed? The answer to this question will be dependent upon the amount of time that it will take an auto accident injury lawyer to gather all of the evidence to present a solid case before the courts, and every case is different.
- What percentage of my settlement will you take if you are working on contingency? Working on contingency means that the attorney will not get any money until they have won your case. Average contingency percentages range from 25% to 40%.
- Will I be responsible for any up-front fees if my case is not won? Many attorneys will say that they get no money unless they win money for you. However, this simply means that if you lose, they will not charge you for the hourly fees for the time that they have invested in your case. This does not include administrative costs, such as those associated with filing your case or obtaining public records, which you may be obligated to pay.
- Will you be available to me when and if I have questions? You may think this question is silly; however, some attorneys are better than others at making themselves available to their clients, and you will want to know what to expect. At The Olive Law Firm, we recognize the importance of keeping our clients up-to-date on the status of their case and answering any questions they may have.
- Will my case go to trial or be settled out of court? Many personal injury cases do settle out of court. However, if the settlement agreement being offered is not enough to cover your losses, you should know whether or not your auto accident injury lawyer will be willing to go to court to fight for the money that you deserve. The attorneys at The Olive Law Firm are not afraid to take any case to court.
Finding the right auto accident injury lawyer can take a bit of time, but the investment can be vital to your future. Take the time to ask questions, become informed, and understand that you are not powerless when it comes to obtaining legal representation. Please give us a call today to see if we can help.