Car accident attorneys have countless clients who have been injured in an accident because a negligent driver was driving drowsy. We hear all the public service ads about how we should never text or drink when we drive. However, many people are astounded to learn that driving while drowsy is so prevalent and one of the leading causes of injury accidents. When a driver is so tired that he or she can hardly keep their eyes open, they often fall asleep for just a few seconds without even realizing that it happened. If a driver lapses into a few seconds of sleep at 65 miles an hour, they can actually drive the length of a football field in an unconscious state.
Estimates from studies done by the AAA Foundation, reveal that about one in six fatal crashes involves a drowsy driver. The reality is that in today’s busy high tech environment, many people are tired or are not even sleeping well. Another factor is that people are working longer hours and many have multiple jobs. It is crucial that drivers be able to assess when they are too sleepy to drive safely. Just like driving under the influence, or driving while distracted, a drowsy driving related crash is completely preventable. Knowing how to avoid driving drowsy could save your life.
Stop driving if you exhibit these warning signs:
• Frequent blinking or heavy eyelids
• Trouble keeping your head up
• Drifting from your lane, swerving, or hitting the rumble strips
• Inability to recall the last few miles driven
• Missing turns, exits, or traffic signs
• Repeatedly yawning
• Feeling irritable, or aggressive
How to prevent a driving drowsy accident:
• Get a good night’s sleep or nap before you hit the road
• Do not drive for long periods of time without stopping for breaks
• Just as you should not swim alone; do not drive alone for long distances
• Stop and take a break every 100 miles or every 2 hours
• If you feel tired, take a 15 to 20 minute nap
• Avoid alcohol and medications that cause drowsiness
• Try not to drive during the hours that you would normally be asleep
• Find a way to consume caffeine, it can actually increase alertness for hours
A reputable car accident attorney in Charlotte, NC
Many car accident victims end up struggling financially because they are unable to work. These individuals are healthy and striving one day, and they are struggling to make ends meet on the next. In addition, they also have medical bills that are piling up unpaid. Fortunately, auto accident attorneys from the Olive Law Firm are available to help.
The Olive Law Firm of Charlotte, NC has handled thousands of auto accident and personal injury cases. One of the premier firms in the southeast, they have nearly 60 years of experience helping victims all over the Carolinas. The Olive Law Firm has the resources to pursue a case and take it to trial, giving their clients the best possible results. Their attorneys are experienced and qualified representatives for many types of injury claims; including car accidents, pedestrian accidents, trucking accidents, motorcycle accidents, premises liability and more. If you have been in an accident and received an auto injury, contact a car accident attorney from The Olive Law Firm for a free consultation.