Car accident attorney is alarmed and concerned about the increase in car and pedestrian accidents at railroad crossings. Where you aware that about every 3 hours a car or a pedestrian is hit by a train? There are many facets to this problem but one of the most glaring statistics is that according to the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB), approximately 40% of all public railroad crossings are not protected by lights and safety gates.
Unprotected railroad crossings pose a major threat. Urban sprawl and increases in traffic volume can affect the safety level of railroad crossings that may have been barely crossed 15 years ago. The chances of an accident occurring is seven times greater at crossings without gates than at crossings with gates. When these accidents happen, if it can be proven that the rail company was in some way responsible, there may be legal liability to the injured person.
Know your rights
If you or a family member is involved in an accident arising out of the operation of a train or other railroad device, you should get legal advice from one of the best personal injury attorneys in Charlotte. Seek a Law Firm that has decades of experience protecting their client’s rights and getting them the compensation that they deserve. The most important thing is to avoid train accidents in the first place. Consider the following safety tips:
- Never race a train to the crossing or try to beat a train through the crossing.
- Be patient, even the longest trains will take a few minutes from your schedule. Wait for it to go by before you proceed across the tracks.
- A freight train moving at 55 miles per hour can take a mile or more to stop.
- Never drive around lowered gates.
- Do not stop too close to the tracks, a train is three feet wider than the tracks on both sides.
- If your vehicle ever stalls on a track when a train is coming, get out immediately and move away from the tracks in the direction from which the train is coming.
- Beware of multiple track crossings; after a train passes, watch out for a second train on the other tracks.
- Cross train tracks only at a designated crossing, look both ways, and cross the tracks quickly.
- When approaching or crossing the tracks, ALWAYS EXPECT A TRAIN.
A Top rated accident attorney in Charlotte, NC
If you have been injured in a car or train crash, contact a skilled auto accident attorney or car accident attorney and obtain legal counsel. The attorneys at The Olive Firm have been helping accident victims and their families recover damages for nearly 60 years. They have recovered millions of dollars on behalf of their clients, and stand ready to go to court in an effort to help pursue the maximum amount of compensation. When you contact The Olive Law Firm, rest assured that your attorney will be compassionate, understanding, and skilled enough to be the representation that you deserve. You do not need to settle for whatever the insurance companies decide to offer. Are you injured in an accident, contact their office today so a personal injury attorney can review your auto injury case.