Car accident attorneys deal with countless cases for clients who have been injured in an accident because a negligent driver was driving drowsy. We all rightfully focus on how we should never text or drink when we drive. However, many people are completely unaware that driving while drowsy is a common hazard, and one of the leading causes of injury accidents. When a driver is drowsy or tired, he or she can fall asleep for just a few seconds without even realizing that it happened. If a driver lapses into a few seconds of sleep at 65 miles an hour, they could actually end up driving the equivalent in distance of a football field in an unconscious state.
The AAA Foundation reveals that about one in six fatal crashes involves a drowsy driver. The reality is that in today’s busy, high stress environment, many people are tired, and/or are not getting the proper amount of sleep. Additionally, people are working longer hours, and many have multiple jobs. It is the first responsibility of every driver to be able to assess when they are too sleepy to drive safely. Just like driving while texting or driving under the influence, a crash involving a drowsy driver is completely preventable. Knowing how to prevent driving drowsy could save your life, consider the following:
Stop driving if you exhibit these warning signs:
- Frequent blinking or heavy eyelids
- Trouble keeping your head up
- Drifting from your lane, swerving, or hitting the rumble strips
- Inability to recall the last few miles driven
- Missing turns, exits, or traffic signs
- Repeatedly yawning
- Feeling irritable, or aggressive
Prevent a driving drowsy accident by:
- Getting a good night’s sleep, or a nap before you hit the road
- Do not drive alone for long distances
- Stop and take a break every 100 miles or every 2 hours
- If you feel tired, take a 15 to 20-minute nap
- Avoid alcohol and medications that cause drowsiness
- Try not to drive during the hours that you would normally be asleep
- Find a way to consume caffeine, it can actually increase alertness for hours
A reputable car accident attorney in Charlotte, NC
Many car accident victims end up struggling financially because they are unable to work. These individuals are healthy and striving one day, and they are struggling to make ends meet on the next. In addition, they also have medical bills that are piling up unpaid. Fortunately, auto accident attorneys or car accident attorney from the Olive Law Firm are available to help.
The Olive Law Firm of Charlotte, NC has handled thousands of auto accident and personal injury cases. One of the premier firms in the southeast, they have nearly 60 years of experience helping victims all over the Carolinas. The Olive Law Firm has the resources to pursue a case and take it to trial, giving their clients the best possible results. Their attorneys are experienced and qualified representatives for many types of injury claims; including car accidents, pedestrian accidents, trucking accidents, motorcycle accidents, premises liability and more. If you have been in an accident and received an auto injury, contact a car accident attorney from The Olive Law Firm for a free consultation.